Saturday, June 20, 2015

Online Classes are GO!

If you've ever wanted to come to one of my classes, but lived too far away or never quite got around to it, here's your chance.  Over the next few months, bag-making classes with me will be popping up on Creativebug.  The first one launched this week - The Hobo bag.   

http://www.creativebug.com/classseries/single/sew-a-hobo-bag
 
I'm taking a break from teaching workshops until some time next year, so if you want to learn from me, this is where you'll find all my best tips and tricks and some new designs.
 
Right now, you can sign up for a 14 day free trial of Creativebug Premium membership (which is only US$4.95 per month if you choose to continue it) to do this and/or lots of other inspiring classes with instructors like me, Amy Butler, Anna Maria Horner, Kathy Doughty, Kaffe Fascett, Joel Dewberry, Leisl Gibson, Gretchen Hirsch, ... the list goes on.  (I am in VERY fine company, indeed!).
 
 
This Hobo is made in microfibre suede, but you could make it in denim or duckcloth or any medium-weight fabric. It has a pop of (Kaffe Fascett) colour on the inside of the flap and on the lining, and it has a fancy-schmantzy twist lock closure.
 
 
 Along with all my sewing tips, the Hobo class includes techniques for working with tricky fabrics like microsuede, using interfacing and hardware, making a neat adjustable strap and inserting a fully-lined exposed zipper pocket.
 
 
An added bonus is that you also get to feel very superior about how young and smooth and well-cared-for your hands look, when you see lots of close-ups of these old weather-beaten work tools of mine... (and no, that is not my young and smooth hand in the photo above), or else you can know that if you have "Old Crafter's" and/or gardener's hands, you are not alone.
 

You can watch a little video of me talking about this class, and have a look around the Creativebug site while you're there.  I'm sure you'll be as impressed as I am with it.  There are classes in everything creative - cooking, paper-crafts, drawing, knitting, crochet and all disciplines of sewing, just to name a few. There are lots of free classes that you can try there, too. 
 
And remember to stay tuned to Creativebug (also on Facebook and Twitter) and You Sew Girl for notification of my classes as they appear.  

10 comments:

A Peppermint Penguin said...

no, they are!

Tracy VT said...

Great work! Always wierd to see and watch yourself no doubt, but a brilliant resource! Well done!

gianduia said...

Loved the Hobo bag class! It was great to get talked through and see how you do all the tricky bits. I can't wait to see more of your classes as they pop up on Creativebug!

Shell said...

How exciting! This will make accessing your brilliance so much easier for those of us in the sticks!

Shell said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Shell said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Nikki said...

Thank you all. Hope you enjoy more of the classes, @gianduia!

Kicki G, Sweden said...

FINALLY!!
xxoo

Pam said...

Thank you so much for this class Nikki! I've just completed the bag as a gift for my best friend's birthday and I enjoyed the whole process thoroughly!
She and our other friends thought I was so very clever making such a tailored and stylish bag. ;) I have been sewing for many years but usually just throw together a quick lined tote style bag, when I needed/wanted one, thinking other styles would be too hard! But when I saw your video on Creativebug I decided to give it a go and follow you step by step. Something I learnt a long time ago was the best thing to do with sewing clothes. Who knew!? Ha! ;) It was fabulous learning all your great tips and how to use the edging foot(so easy!). I have 5 sewing machines all up(a couple are my mum's) and about 3 of those feet to go with a couple of them and have never bothered to work out what to do with them!
It was also very handy being able to pause or play again, with the video.
Of course, as is my wont I always have to add my own little twist to things and needed to change the shape of the flap to accommodate a scalloped edged vintage doily because my friend loves vintage!
You make it all so easy so I'm going to make myself one as well!

Many thanks again. ♥

Unknown said...

Great work Nikki...really enjoyed watching the class, and love the Hobo Bag, and the CreativeBug site is very impressive! Looking forward to seeing what you do next. xo